It’s Easter Monday, and time for a round up of some of this week’s small pleasures. We have had some lovely, sunny weather and it is still warm enough to sit outside and read. I have to say I have been extremely lazy today, reading, doing word puzzles, dozing…and a bit of weeding. It is so nice to be on holiday and not to feel the need to ‘have to do something – a small pleasure in itself.
Flowers were bought to brighten up the house and celebrate the season. The cheerful colours were just the thing in set up our downstairs space for Easter.
So to food…and of course with it being Easter, there had to be hot cross buns. We had some lovely, fresh ones delivered from Shelley Bay Bakery on Good Friday, enjoyed that afternoon with a cup of tea. In the shopping basket this week were apples, pears and feijoas in keeping with the season, some mushrooms, courgettes, tomatoes and broccolini. I made a batch of cranberry and coconut biscuits (cookies) to have as a dessert option on Easter Sunday.
As per tradition, we had a big feast with friends on Easter Sunday. The table was full of all sorts of things from Janssons frestelse to sausages to devilled eggs to meatballs to smoked salmon to herring and smoked mussels and so on and so forth. There was a wonderful pear cake made by my friend, which we had with ice cream for dessert, a cheese selection and of course little bits of chocolate. In case you are wondering what is in the little glasses, it is snaps or aquavit. This is a Danish one, the only one we could find in Wellington, and it has a distinct flavour of caraway seeds. Not something for every day, it is perfect with oily fish like herring and smoked salmon at Christmas, Easter and Swedish Midsummer.
With the good weather, walking through the Botanic Gardens is still on the agenda as you can see from the featured image at the top of the post. I have been enjoying these begonia over the past couple of months, which for some reason remind me of my mother, who always had a pot of them somewhere when I was growing up. I also managed to catch up with niece in Maryland in a video call, get some tidying up done, and of course, enjoy posts from my blogging friends.
So that is me for this week. What were your small pleasures this week? Here are some other blog posts from a few fellow bloggers looking at the good things in life.
- Carol Ann of Fashioned for Joy has bad luck with appliances, but looks on the bright side and made a whole wheat chocolate chip banana bread.
- Ju Lyn at Touring my Backyard contemplates Easter.
- Natalie the Explorer celebrates Easter and hosts the weekend coffee share.
- Deb’s World’s has an amazing trip to the zoo.
- Laurie at Notes from the Hinterland celebrates the early days of spring.
- Little Pieces of Me gives a talk at the universityl
- Share a coffee with Trent over at Trent’s World and celebrate spring.
- There is Monday motivation over at Popsicle Society
- The Annoyed Thyroid has had to spend time in ‘iso’ thanks to the ‘spicy cough’ or ‘the vid’. Eugh.
You can find Thistles and Kiwis on Facebook, and also on Instagram @thistlesandkiwis. As for Twitter….am totally inactive these days. If you want to get in touch, email me on email@example.com