It seems like yesterday we were ringing in the new year, but here we are at the end of March already. For us in the Southern Hemisphere it means autumn, which can be nice in its way. An early autumn lazy Sunday afternoon with a book and a mug of tea was a small pleasure I indulged in this weekend, and I am sure there will be more once the cooler days are with us.
We tend to think of autumn colours as being golden yellows, deep oranges and soft browns…almost like the miniature marigolds (and yes that is a sneaky little nasturtium) below, that are making me smile at the moment.
And so to food….I picked up some more scallopini or patty pan squash, along with some yellow beans, collard greens, red chard and cavolo nero on Wednesday, because everything looked so bright and fresh. Some of the things in the shopping basket this week included sausages, witloof (or chicory) to make a salad with pears and walnuts perhaps, limes, a tub of mozzarella, aubergine (a current favourite), plums, tomatoes, passion fruit and that seasonal fruit that people go mad for in New Zealand, feijoas.
Sticking with food, there was a smoked salmon toast for lunch at favourite cafe Squirrel, fish and chips at The Shepherd’s Arms pub in Thorndon on Thursday, Vietnamese food with friends at Saigon Van (the soft shell crab was good!) on Saturday evening and I used the scallopini/patty pan squash in Peter Gordon’s recipe on Sunday (and yes there were leftovers!).
Other small pleasures this week included lunch and a gossip with a friend on Monday, catching a Skill Share class on creativity (in line with my Word of the Year!), and better weather than the forecast on Sunday and Monday.
What were your small pleasures this week? Here are some other blog posts from a few fellow bloggers looking at the good things in life.
- Carol Ann of Fashioned for Joy goes to Tucson, Arizona and shares lots of colourful and cheerful pictures.
- Ju Lyn at Touring my Backyard has a pizza and games night.
- Natalie the Explorer shares some more public art in Toronto and says goodbye to winter (and looks after the weekend coffee share).
- Anne over at Something Over Tea shares some cheerful yellow flowers.
- Jo at And Anyways checks in her word of the year
- Deb’s World’s celebrates 10 years of blogging.
- Laurie at Notes from the Hinterland shares her Friday Favourites and the consolation of nature.
- Share a coffee with Trent over at Trent’s World who gets back into running.
- There is Monday motivation from Popsicle Society
You can find Thistles and Kiwis on Facebook, and also on Instagram @thistlesandkiwis. As for Twitter….am totally inactive these days. If you want to get in touch, email me on email@example.com