It is Monday evening again here in Aotearoa, and time for this week’s small pleasures and a time to reflect on the good things in life, the small things that bring a smile to our faces. Sometimes these things are fleeting and unexpected. This Saturday morning, when while walking through the Botanic Gardens going to Pilates, a very small boy, came running up to me with a beaming smile, and handed me a large stick he had been carrying. I took it, and then chatted to the father about how much small boys love sticks. Beaming from ear to ear, the wee one took the stick back and gave it to his father. There was much laughter, many smiles and it made such a joyful start to the day.
Another thing that brought a smile to my face was winning a Golden Ticket in a bar of chocolate bought to commemorate the 120 years of the Wellington Cable Car (which I mentioned here). I won tickets to the zoo, so that will have to be something to do one fine day.
On Sunday we went out to The Dowse Art Museum to see the exhibition of a selection of the Eden Hore collection of 1970s couture gowns. Hore was a farmer in Central Otago who collected around 200 garments, a few of which were on show at this lovely exhibition. The blue catsuit on the left below had legs 3 metres wide! My favourite though was the black and white one next to it. There were sequins, lurex, and garments made of the finest wool. Thanks to Su over at Zimmerbitch for telling me about this great little exhibition.
And so to food…in the basket this Saturday there were apples, pears and feijoas in keeping with the season. I might just make an apple and pear compote to have with thick Greek yoghurt as part of week-day breakfasts. There were green beans (served with Za’atar Salmon and Tahini from Ottolenghi Test Kitchen Shelf Love for Saturday’s dinner), courgettes, aubergines and essential onions. On Sunday we enjoyed croque monsieur over at Tartines French Cafe in Eastbourne after the exhibition and a salad of left over beans and tomatoes to have with a quiche topped with mozzarella for Sunday dinner.
What were your small pleasures this week? Here are some other blog posts from a few fellow bloggers looking at the good things in life.
- Carol Ann of Fashioned for Joy remembers the passing of a dear friend and some mixed weather. Hope your daffodils survived the sudden flurry of snow!
- Ju Lyn at Touring my Backyard meets jungle fowl and eats dried persimmon.
- Natalie the Explorer shares amazing murals she found in Toronto.
- Anne over at Something Over Tea shares her garden in March.
- Jo at And Anyways shares what’s on her bookshelf (check out this monthly theme).
- Deb’s World’s goes into the forest for Sunday Stills.
- Laurie at Notes from the Hinterland also shares what she has been reading, and shares more of the history of Franco-American population in Maine.
- Share a coffee with Trent over at Trent’s World
- Scribble and Scran suffers from dust during renovations…but also makes pesto.
- Popsicle Society has a perfect Monday Motivation quote for this post!
You can find Thistles and Kiwis on Facebook, and also on Instagram @thistlesandkiwis. As for Twitter….am totally inactive these days. If you want to get in touch, email me on email@example.com