It is November already…the days are getting longer and brighter and it really feels like we are heading into summer. It is a gorgeous sunny day today, which always gladdens the spirits. As I mentioned in my last post, I had a nice end of working week walk through the Botanic Gardens on Friday, spotting this butterfly enjoying itself on the flowers (I think heliotropes) in the sun. A lovely small pleasure to start the post.
And so to food…of course…starting with a lovely Reuben sandwich at one of my favourite cafes, Pickle & Pie, on Wednesday after my osteopath visit. In the shopping basket this week there were all sorts of delights, from seasonal asparagus, fresh peas and our first strawberries this spring, to broccolini, beans, courgettes and spinach to basics like onions and lemons and what I think will be a red grapefruit. Will report back on that later! We had Arobake croissants for Sunday breakfast for a weekend treat.
On Saturday evening there was a trip to the Royal New Zealand Ballet to see their wonderful production of Midsummer Night’s Dream with choreography by the late Liam Scarlett. I love this version of the ballet – my third time performance -full of humour and some wonderful costumes and stage settings. My friend and I decided to have a cocktail before the production at Crumpet, who make all sorts of interesting concoctions. I had a Witch’s Apple made from Glenfiddich 12 year old whisky, Strega, apple syrup and soda which was really lovely and quite refreshing.
Elsewhere…..I enjoyed listening to Stephen Fry on Grace Dent’s Comfort Eating podcast and watching episode two of the crime drama, Shetland. Thanks to Canberra’s Green Spaces I learned of a new tartan, The Koala. You can read more about this fun idea here.
To finish, some beautiful iris also spotted in the Botanic Gardens. I don’t think I need to say more really! The picture at the top of the post is of some azaleas also in the gardens.
What were your small pleasures? Here are some other blog posts from a few fellow bloggers looking at the good things in life.
- Carol Ann of Fashioned for Joy shares her delights of her week including a favourite spot in the library and wonderful autumnal leaves.
- Ju Lyn at Touring my Backyard makes blueberry muffins – and they look really good!
- Natalie the Explorer celebrates 5 portals and 5 years of blogging as well as the weekend coffee share.
- Anne over at Something Over Tea shares an interesting bird’s nest.
- .Jo at And Anyway shares a recipe for pho and celebrates Halloween.
- Deb’s World is all about BOLD-tober.
- Laurie at Notes from the Hinterland enjoys the last days of October.
- Trent’s World‘s The Weekly Smile: celebrates the completion of a project and enjoys the season where he lives.
- Natalie at Little Pieces of Me‘s Grateful Fridays: shares her list things to be grateful for.
- Scribble and Scran makes some wonderful sounding soup.
- Sanch Writes weekly gratitude post includes getting together with friends and getting a hair cut.
You can find Thistles and Kiwis on Facebook, and also on Instagram @thistlesandkiwis. As for Twitter….am totally inactive these days. If you want to get in touch, email me on email@example.com