Yesterday, Sunday, was Anzac Day, the day on which New Zealand and Australia remember all those who killed in war and also honours returned servicemen and women. The date itself (25th April) marks the anniversary of the landing of the Anzacs, New Zealand and Australian soldiers, on the Gallipoli Peninsula in 1915. Last year, due to lockdown, there were no dawn services, but this year these were able to take place all around the country and over the Tasman. Today, Monday, is a public holiday, which of course is a small pleasure in itself.
It was such a beautiful day on Saturday, so what with that combined with a bus strike, I walked all the way to Squirrel café, enjoying the view walking along the waterfront. I spotted a shag sitting next to Len Lye’s Water Whirler (see the featured image at the top of the post and look carefully). After tea and toast, I set of for my usual morning Pilates class – another small pleasure in itself.
And so to food….there was fish and chips in a local pub on Thursday evening, lamb and feta meatballs for Sunday dinner, the joy of cabbage, so beautiful to look at and so good to eat. Shiitake mushrooms, also beautiful to look at and stirred through pasta for an easy Monday dinner, and the best chicken sandwich ever for Monday lunch at Squirrel (twice in one week!). I also got a copy of Sophie Hansen’s latest book In Good Company, which looks full of lots of delicious things to cook and eat.
Sunday was another lovely sunny day so we took advantage of the weather and went for a walk in Zealandia, the eco sanctuary just 5 minutes drive from where we live. We got really close to two very curious New Zealand robins, said hello to some tuatara and watched the kaka feeding.
That is all from me this Monday. What were your small pleasures this week?
- Laurie over at Notes from the Hinterland enjoys some good looking compost, a gardening book and some music.
- Grateful Fridays from Little Pieces of Me celebrates being fully vaccinated.
- Carol Ann of Fashioned for Joy shares some wonderful pictures…and eats pizza!
- Sanch Writes enjoys drinks, comedy and a solo hike.
- Ju Lyn of Touring My Backyard goes for a run in the park.
- Trent’s World The Weekly Smile gets his first vaccine shot.
- Su remembers the fallen in an Anzac Day post.
- Deb’s World asks is there a difference between feeling joyful and plain old happiness?
- Something Over Tea values her garden.
- That Travel Lady in her Shoes brightens the day with pink.
You can find Thistles and Kiwis on Facebook, and also on Instagram@thistleandkiwis. As for Twitter….am totally inactive these days. If you want to get in touch, email me on email@example.com