It has been another glorious sunny day today with blue skies and sunshine – something that always makes me smile and lifts the spirits. I was working at home today to look after Charlie. His eye is still not looking good and we took him to the vet again this morning. He now has some new medication, so fingers crossed this works and he doesn’t lose an eye. So to this week’s small pleasures, starting with the beginning of the week.
A drive and lunch
The weather at the start of the week was rather different to that today, with grey skies and some heavy rain on Thursday. At least we escaped the cyclone that devastated parts of the country. On Tuesday, the last day of Karl’s holiday, we drove over to Scorching Bay. The weather wasn’t that great, but the skies and sea looked suitably dramatic.
We had lunch at the wonderfully named Scorch-O-Rama, the walls of which are covered in old comic covers. It has been ages since we had been there so it made a nice change to visit again. I had The Bennyfishiary, a smoked salmon eggs Benedict and Karl the nachos, both of which we enjoyed.
Food and cooking
I didn’t go back to work until Thursday, so had a few days last week to enjoy messing about in the kitchen (see Wednesday’s post). On Wednesday, I picked up a head of lettuce, some green and yellow courgettes which I will use today with pasta, a small bag of white cherries as a real special treat, a jar of sauerkraut and one of grilled peppers. I also picked up a few plums. This should be the height of stone fruit season, but the weather in the north has really paid havoc with the harvest, and there isn’t the same choice and amount as usual. Still, I am making the most of what there is. In Saturday’s basket there was this glorious glossy aubergine, peas, baby carrots, shallots, sausages, chicken, and some gurnard which we enjoyed for Saturday’s dinner.
In the Botanic Gardens
I went for a walk this afternoon in the Botanic Gardens. Naturally, I said hello to the ducks, but I also spotted a few astronauts dotted about. Well, Gardens Magic is on just now, with free outdoor concerts, lights and a trail for children which this year involves finding the spacemen I presume!
This week’s simple things included;
- Spending time in the kitchen, cooking
- Sitting in the sun, reading
- Watching the 1985 film Witness – what a good film that is.
- Walking in the Botanic Gardens
- Enjoying a Campari and soda on a sunny evening
So that is it for this week. So, what were your small pleasures this week? Here are some other blog posts from a few fellow bloggers looking at the good things in life.
- Ju Lyn at Touring my Backyard shares her Monday Musings.
- Natalie the Explorer takes us to a Garden of the Greek Gods.
- Check out Anne’s knitting over at Something Over Tea
- Share a coffee over at Trent’s World and spot the interesting Christmas tree decoration.
- Popsicle Society motivates us on Monday
- Southern Patches shares her word for 2023 – and a good one it is too.
- Laurie over at Notes From the Hinterland shares snow pictures – rather different weather to what we have here!
- Deb has been doing Bloganuary and shares here weekly post based on the prompts.
- Jo over at And Anyways shares early morning walks and shares a nice sounding recipe for salmon.
- …and all the other wonderful bloggers out there!
Also entered in The Weekend Coffee Share hosted by Natalie the Explorer.
Thistles and Kiwis is a Wellington, New Zealand based blog written by Barbara, who likes cats, summer, good food and pretends to garden.
You can find Thistles and Kiwis on Facebook, and also on Instagram @thistlesandkiwis. If you want to get in touch, email me on email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org